When people hear my story a lot of emotions and questions arise. I hear, “I wish I could do that!” (Guess what?! You can!) And most commonly get asked “where do I start?” Between our friends, family, TV commercials, documentaries and social media there are so many options that it can be incredibly overwhelming. Know that there are no short cuts. No magic pills, drinks, wraps, creams or secrets. BUT, you do have to do the work.
So, where DO you start?
- Don’t do it because you hate yourself. Do it because you love yourself. I did it because I wanted to live longer for my kids and my husband. Having self love can be difficult sometimes, but if you start something because you hate yourself it’ll never last.
- Replace all drinks with water. Drinking water helps boost your metabolism, cleanse your body of waste, and acts as an appetite suppressant. Drinking water is one of the easiest ways to turn up your fat-burning capacity because when your body is dehydrated it cannot burn fat. Drink a minimum of 64oz. daily and work up to half your body weight in ounces if you can.
- Shop mostly around the perimeter of your grocery store. This is where you will find the most fresh nutrient dense foods like lean proteins and produce.
- Avoid diets, (especially extreme ones). If you want sustainable results you have to make it a lifestyle. (cliché? Maybe!) The idea is to create healthy habits and commit to being health conscious long term. Diets are temporary, mindset is forever!
- Eat a balanced combination of lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats at each meal. I personally eat 6 times a day in smaller amounts which fuels my body properly every 2-3 hours so I’m never hungry. Don’t ever skip meals, yes… even breakfast!
- Hire a coach or personal trainer. This is not the time to be cheap. You are much more likely to succeed with the added layer of support and accountability of someone you trust and who has experience.
- Find activities that you actually enjoy that gets you moving. You’ll never make it a lifestyle if you hate it. Think outside the box. Hate the gym? Fine. Swim, rock climb, ride your bike, do group classes, home workouts, walk, run, play tennis. Just move your body in a way that makes you happy!
- Get a buddy to do it with you! Friends make things more fun and add the accountability factor we need. I love when my clients have coworkers, spouses, BFFS, even their kids that join them.
- Don’t weigh yourself every day. I recommend every once every 1-2 weeks. It’s just a fraction of the overall picture. Take pictures and measurements once a month to track your progress.
- Remember that this is a journey. A journey that begins with a single step forward. Don’t get hung up on how far you have to go. I had an entire person to lose! That was a gigantic mountain to climb. If you have a mountain to climb you’ll do it the same way I did. One step at a time. You’ll stumble. You’ll fall. You’ll want to quit. You’ll think you can’t do it. But I promise you can! Eliminate the urgency to lose a certain amount or be a certain size by a certain time because it’s not a race! Make a commitment to sticking with the process. There are no short cuts, magic pills or secrets. Just do the work!
If you are interested in chatting about your health goals and discovering how you can transform your life with one of my amazing programs fill out this form and I will connect with you ASAP. I look forward to connecting with you!